The “Roaring Twenties V2.0″ has begun, and with that, we must say farewell to Windows 7. This is a scary thought, knowing how many organizations are still standardized on Windows 7. Aside from Internet Backgammon and Checkers, we can also say goodbye to security updates and Microsoft technical support.
Here is What you Need to Know
- Microsoft’s 10 year support period has ended, effective January 14th, 2020.
- Technical support and software updates are no longer available.
- Microsoft strongly recommends that you move to Windows 10.
Is there a free Windows 10 upgrade?
Unfortunately the last date Microsoft offered a free upgrade ended on July 26th, 2016. We recommend that you don’t install Windows 10 on an older device, as some Windows 7 devices are not compatible with Windows 10 or could experience reduced feature availability.
Can I still use Windows 7?
Of course. However, keep in mind that you will be more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. When considering the management of Industrial Automation Control Systems (IACS), it is important to maintain supported software and hardware to reduce cybersecurity risk.
Top 3 Ways KAASM can Help
- Digital Transformation (DX) Consulting Are you looking to modernize your industrial technology stack? Do you need help identifying and planning an execution strategy for your technology initiatives? Would you like to consolidate applications and reduce your IT footprint? Our DX engagement is designed to help your organization achieve results.
- Hardware Refresh We have access to world-class industrial computers that deliver a minimum 10-year lifecycle. Our portfolio includes ruggedized edge devices, box PC’s, Panel Panel PC’s, and server-class machines.
- Software Updates Are you looking to modernize your existing SCADA, MES, Alarm Notification, or Automation software? Our software portfolio is built for scale, supporting single instance micro applications up to enterprise-wide deployments. IT DevOps tools are now supported throughout our entire industrial software portfolio.
The time has come to modernize your system, and refresh your platforms. Contact us for more information.
Microsoft’s Windows 7 end of support web page: Learn more